Bloglovin'

Follow

Grungy Goodwill Aesthetic (plus thrifting tips!)

Sweater, Dress and Boots - Goodwill
 
 
 
Hello!

In this post I really want to focus on something I love, which is used items! I've been going to thrift stores and yard sales since I was a baby, and I honestly could never shop differently. You really can find awesome things for great prices, you just have to take your time and really look around. Case in point, the Doc Martens I'm wearing. They were barely worn, and literally cost $4.97! The laces were a little frayed, so I just threaded them with some ribbon I had from Walmart. The dress, which was only five dollars, looked brand new, and was originally from Urban Outfitters. Not only do you save money, but it's way more eco friendly, as you're buying an item that already exists, which reduces the demand for new goods. Why make a bunch of new stuff when there is already a ton of similar pieces, just chilling and waiting to be bought?

In terms of the actual process of shopping, there are a few things that I find really aid in making the overall experience a little less overwhelming





First, always make sure to either A: eat before you go, or B: bring something to eat/drink. Trust me, standing in a crowded Goodwill, rooting through a million shirts, is already enough to make people meltdown, let alone when you're starving! Which leads me to my next point.

Try to avoid going during peak hours, like weekends. It's usually not worth it, as it's way more crowded, and everything has probably already been picked over.



Start in one section. Typically, I start in the shoes, as they are fairly easy to look through, and easy to try on, if needed.

Get a cart, even if you think you don't need one. It's a lot easier to look around when you're not carrying a pile of stuff.

And last, but not least, try stuff on. I know many people are skeeved by thrift stores, but most likely the stuff you are going to be trying on hasn't been worn in a while, and probably wasn't owned by anyone particularly suspect. I just always bring sanitizer and hand wipes, and wash whatever I buy I soon as I get home.                                                                                                                                                     




As you can see, the price still hasn't rubbed off.

    I hope this helps you the next time you go thrifting, and if you've never gone, I hope this encourages you to try it. It really is awesome!


     
Thank you so much for reading this! Any questions or comments are very welcome.

-Emmy

Comments

Popular Posts